Tuesday 6 July 2010

Tasty treats

As I've already mentioned I am trying to shift a few pounds. But I am a sucker for a sweet treat after my dinner. So I was delighted to rediscover a childhood dessert which not only need I not feel guilty about but I can actually feel good about because it provides one of my 'five a day' and I make it up with sugar free jelly mix.

My mum and grandmother still make rhubarb jelly so with rhubarb currently on offer at Tescos and my new mum status tucked firmly under my belt I was happy to join their ranks (even though Bambino won't be eating it for a while yet!)

Here's how...


Wash and roughly chop the rhubarb


I make my jelly using a double sachet of sugar free strawberry jelly crystals. But I only add the water specified in the directions for one packet. Experiment with your jelly and water quantities depending on how runny/bouncy you like your jelly.

So I add the quantity of cold water directly (1pt on my packet) to the rhubarb in a pan and allow to boil away.



Meanwhile I make up the jelly/boiling water part, two sachets and one sachet's worth of water (1/2pt on my packet)



Once the rhubarb has disintegrated and looks all stringy like this I add the boiled water mixed to the rhubarb mixture and stir together well. DO NOT drain the rhubarb at all.


Ladle into glasses or dishes as you prefer, allow to cool a little before covering with clingfilm and placing in the fridge.


I like my jelly bouncy with a dollop of creme fraiche.

PJ prefers his runny and straight up.

So far I've made more runny jelly than bouncy, not on purpose. Oh well you can't win them all!




No comments:

Post a Comment